29 April 2008

So touched, Soooo...TOUCHED

Remember I posted a case before about a child with ADHD? It's really hard to handle him. Whenever Tuesday comes, I'll tremble. Oh, ADHD means Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Yeah, but that could be a wrong diagnosis. We felt that he is more of an Autistic.

Well, today he came in with smiles on his face. He greeted me with prompts and then went in to the hall. He was fine until the wound on one of his legs started bleeding. He couldn't take it, not the pain but the blood. He didn't know what to do and basically he just couldn't handle any sudden incidents. He started screaming, crying, jumping and refused to complete his work. I was then handling another case. I watched him from far. My heart went over to this boy called Kenny. Sigh... I'm kinda afraid that the other parents may think that i'm bias. Well, I should do what is right rather than what others may think.

The teachers who were teaching him were quite lost. In fact, I was lost as well. One of the teacher came to me and asked me how. Frankly, I do not have any perfect solution. I was and am still trying things out. using different methods to handle him. Lately, he has problem with radio. So whenever we on radio, he'll go crazy. He even took out the CD from the radio and stopped us all from getting near to the radio. This happened last Tuesday. Today, we had the same activity with different things. Arghh... I was lost totally! I gotta find ways to help my colleagues. In the morning, I already prayed to God, asking for wisdom. I even thought of a way after that Tuesday. So they did as I said. But, it didn't work.

What we did was, we on the radio before Language time comes (That's when we needed the radio). Before Language time is craft time. We usually do craft outside the hall. we on it earlier hoping that he will be prepared because he has transition problem. However, once he heard the radio, he came in and off it and even fought with the teachers and let off on his mum. He yelled and cried and ran around and lied on the floor. Again, I was in charged of something else. After I finished distributing the stuff to other kids, i went in and took his slippers off. He hates that. He'll sure chase after the slippers. And he did. My colleagues closed the door quickly.

Before that a thought suddenly came to me about another radio. We have another radio in the office, so we brought that out and hid it behind the cubical. So that he wont be able to see it and we closed that corner up so that he wont even be able to get in and disturb it. This time, we did not play children songs, we played worship songs from WOW album. He went in and he was able to sit very quietly and well. After teacher taught the lesson, then they were supposed to pass the bag around with music. (This was when we needed the radio).

We played the cassette and in the very beginning, he was shocked. He was looking for the source of the music. He looked towards the radio that we usually played, but he couldn't see any lights were on. So he sat down and laughed.

The first song that was being played was BREATHE, if I'm not mistaken. One of the stanzas says: And I'm lost without You, and I'm desperate for You! That was when my tears swelled. I was so touched by God's grace and His mercy really would never come to an end and at the same time He reminded me that without Him, all of us are lost. Kenny was lost, his mum was lost, and teachers were lost. Only God can give us light and bring us JOY, GRACE and POWER.

Kenny enjoyed the songs and he smiled all the way! God's Awesome! He filled me with JOY again. I'll never, never forget this.

No comments: