15 July 2008

Pen vs. Pencil

When did I start using pen? I remember I started using pen when I was in standard 4. It was a compulsory thing. So every homework or anything that we write, we were not allowed to use pencil. I mean when we did it in the exercise books. Of course when we copied notes into our personal notebook, it wasn't a problem.

I remember very well what my teacher commented on somebody or it maybe me. I'm not very sure. Yeah, I think it was me. I wasn't confident enough to use pen to write the answer most of the time I think. So I'll use pencil to write it down first. So the teacher said," When you are doing this, it reflects your level of confidence."

This comment came back to me when one of my colleagues was telling me what had happened to her yesterday. yesterday was a hectic day for her. She got a few reports to write but she did not have enough time. So she thought of bringing the files back to complete them. But she was not bringing it home to write the reports. She thought she would complete them in her car while waiting for her son to finish tuition. Some how, she forgot to bring a pencil along and her son had got only one mechanical pencil. So she couldn't do it. She brought the files back today. She was quite frustrated with her son because he has only one pencil in his pencil case. She was thinking what if that machanical pencil is broken or missing, how is he gonna do his work in school or tuition center.

You may wonder why not she use pen? Haha... Actually, she is the only one who uses pencil in our center because she has no confidence to write with a pen. I heard her story before I went to toilet. When I was in the toilet, this thought came to me. Look at the characteristic of a pen and a pencil, it reflects the intensity of confidence also. The mark than a pen makes is more solid. And the mark of a pencil is weak. No matter how dark the pencil lead is, sooner or later it will look weaker than the mark of a pen.

It's just a random thought.

No comments: