16 September 2008

Herod's Attitude

I read something which made me try to change my attitude when I go to church on Sundays. In Luke 23 if I'm not mistaken, I read about Herod, who wanted to see Jesus for a long time. He hoped to see Jesus perform miracles as his entertainments. He was disappointed because when he saw Jesus, Jesus was in chains. He couldn't perform any miracles.

In the Devotion part of what I'd read, the writer says,

" Herod reminds me of a lot of Christians. One recent survey suggests that people shop for churches as for a commodity. They check out the agencies. They ask about the preaching. They find out who goes to the church. They listen critically to the choir. Are there enough activities for children? For teens?

Even then all too many come on Sunday and go away disappointed, because for some reason God or the preacher didn't perform well that day. Like Herod, "hoping for a miracle," and God wasn't putting on a special performance for them that day."

This described some of us. Some times we are disappointed by the speaker, the worship session and etc. Well, we can comment on the speaker of the day and we can even comment on the worship that day. But, I wonder if we should walk out of the church or even stay out when certain people come to the front to talk or when there is a poor speaker speaking language that we can't understand? (It means the speaker goes round and round the garden but finds himself in the maze at the end)

The writer continues,

" Can we see this flaws in ourselves? Have we ever stopped to think that church isn't suppose to be entertaining? Church is to be a gathering place for a community of faith; a company of men and women who worship the crucified Saviour, and who commit themselves to minister to a lost and suffering mankind."

Though I seldom walk out half way during the worship, I find myself guilty of finding the church as an entertaining place for me. I expect God to perform some miracles during the day some times and some times I sigh when certain people talk too long. My attitude is wrong.
What about you?

No comments: